Friday, March 21, 2008

cirrhosis vs healthy liver


Hi, this was last summer when we took a day trip to Garibaldi, It took everything Bob had to walk the docks but he was so happy. Its funny how we take for granted the little things , like just walking around which in the old days I would have not found very exciting but now since Bobs liver disease I totally appreciate even a half hour walk, we talk about it for months after. It’s these times I realize how compromised he really is. We continue to talk about going again for a night or even just one day...but it never seems like he feels quite good enough. I guess those days are gone. In the beginning of his diagnosis of Cirrhosis, I thought maybe we would be lucky enough and he could get a liver transplant, but with his immediate weight gain he was not a candidate anymore. We have tried everything to get some of the weight off but his body holds on to it like you wouldn’t believe and there is nothing we can do. Some of the weight gain is due to Ascites (fluid in the abdomen) and some is due to other things going on due to his liver disease. I feel like we have done everything that we can so I am comfortable with it all.
I never really knew what all the liver did and now….for all us with a healthy livers, be thankful and make sure you pay attention to your bodies. If something doesn't seem normal…Go to the doctor and ask for blood tests. A lot of time Doctors don't draw blood unless you have a lot of varying symptoms… but it is your right, your insurance, and your bill so ask for blood work! It is so inexpensive and it is absolutely invaluable!

Ok that is my rant for the day. God bless.

1 comment:

Niki said...

I'm sure you look back on this day and feel great that Bob got to get back to one of his favorite places. He looks good!

I wanted you to know that I've learned so much from you and Bob, Laura--your faith and strength, your devotion to each other, and your grace and humor during stressful times (stressful being not even the word I was lookin for...)! You're inspirational to all of us!

Love, Niki